Celebrating Through Music
Music is one of the primary ways we express our faith. A multiple choir program affords adults and children opportunities to develop and share their faith through music. Our worship services include a variety of music ranging from traditional to contemporary.
View 2014-2015 Festival of Music Schedule
The First Presbyterian Church Youth Choir performs at least once a month and is one of four organized choirs.
First Presbyterian Church has four choirs that offer singing opportunities for anyone starting from age four. The Chancel Choir sings each Sunday at the 8:30 a.m. service. The Cherub, Calvin and Youth Choirs sing at least once a month.
- Chancel Choir, led by Lee J. Afdahl, meets every Thursday evening from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. and Sunday mornings 9:45-10:30 a.m. Any adult is welcome to participate in Chancel Choir. Each year the choir combines with our church orchestra to present Lessons and Carols in December and another major cantata work later in the year.
- Youth Choir, led by Lee J. Afdahl, is open to any middle and high school student who loves to sing. Youth Choir meets every Wednesday from 5:15-6:00 p.m. Youth Choir sings in church at least once a month. The choir also combines with the Chancel Choir on Lessons and Carols and presents a special Youth Music Sunday service in the spring.
- Calvin Choir, is open to any child in grades 2 to 5 and meets on Sundays, 10:40 to 11:30 a.m. The choir rehearses in preparation for singing in worship each month.
- Cherub Choir, led by Becky Erickson and Jeremy Braun, is for children ages 4-first grade. The children meet weekly on Sundays at 10:40 to 11:30 a.m. The children learn anthems that they present in worship almost once a month. The children also learn music fundamentals, play games and have a lot of fun.
First Presbyterian Church has four handbell choirs: Alleluia Ringers, Nothing but Angels, Joyous Praise and Jubilate Deo. Each handbell choirs offers music throughout the year during worship services.
- Alleluia Ringers, meets each Wednesday from 4:15-5:00 p.m. in the church sanctuary. Alleluia Ringers is open to any child in grades 2-5. The group rings on average once a month in worship. No prior experience is required.
Handbells and chimes are an essential component of our music including our choirs and inclusion in our orchestra performances.
- Joyous Praise is the handbell choir for high school students, grades 6-12, and is led by Lee J. Afdahl. Joyous Praise rehearses Wednesday evenings for 6:30-7:30 p.m. This group rings, like the others, about once a month in worship. The group also tours each summer with NBA and the Youth Choir.
- Jubilate Deo, also directed by Lee J. Afdahl, is First Presbyterian’s handbell choir for adults. The group rehearses on Thursday evenings at 6:15-7:15 p.m. in the church sanctuary. New ringers are always welcome.
- Small Ensemble, the church’s small ensemble of handbells, is led by Carol McDonough. This handbell choir’s main purpose is to provide music as a service to the Rochester community.
First Players Band
The First Players Band performs throughout Southern Minnesota and beyond including the Eagles Cancer Telethon broadcasted on KTTC-TV.
First Players is the instrumental program sponsored by First Presbyterian Church. The program features 4th and 5th Grade and Concert Bands. The program is open to any student in the Rochester area. For more information on First Players, contact Lee Afdahl, Music Director at First Presbyterian Church and the Director of First Players through the church office at 282-1618.
For special services and concerts, a multi-piece orchestra accompanies our choirs and the congregation.
The church orchestra is made up of First Presbyterian members and community musicians. The orchestra combines with the Chancel Choir twice during the church year. The first is for First Presbyterian’s annual Lessons and Carols service in December. The orchestra also accompanies the choirs in a well known cantata each spring.